Re: Request for advice on building an exporting capability from Scheme-it to KiCad

Hi Ed,

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking.  Are you only talking about
export for board layout or export to a kicad schematic?  If you are
talking about a board layout, then the netlist should be adequate.
There is no file format document for the netlist file format but you
should be able to take a sample kicad netlist file and understand the
file format.  It is fairly straight forward.  Human readability is part
of the new s-expression file formats.  You will have to understand how
footprints are loaded from the libraries so that could be tricky.  If
you are talking about export to a kicad schematic and symbol library,
that will be more involved.  The schematic and symbol library file
formats are documented[1].  However, they soon will be replaced with the
new s-expression format in the next version of kicad.  If you really
wanted to make life easier for your users, you could create a kicad
schematic plugin that parses your file formats direction to kicad
objects.  This would require you to have a good understanding of the
kicad code base and be an experienced c++ developer.  I hope this helps.
 Good luck.

Cheers,

Wayne