Re: Copy/paste eeshema block betwee two different application

I do see the value of copy pasting between schematics. Its very common for design reuse.

The way the copy-paste for pcbnew is done is like this:

Copy:
1. checks what items are selected.
2. check what requirements the selected items have( nets, layers etc)
3. this creates a new pcb file in memory with only the selected items ( using the regular parser) 4. instead of writing the pcb file to disk, it is written as plaintext to the clipboard.

Paste:
1. load the pcb file from clipboard as a regular pcb_file ( using the regular parser ) 2. check what new nets layers etc are present in the file and add to current working pcb.
3. add each item to the pcb and to selection.
4. enter "move" mode for the current selection of items.

Maybe something similar can be done for the schematic, although I was lucky, because a lot of the functionality was already in pcbnew, so I only had to connect most of it in a more streamlined way.

The current way I copy paste between schematics is like this:
1. create new hierarchical schematic.
2. copy block ( ctrl+c )
3. enter new hierarchical schematic and paste there. save.
4. remove the hierarchical schematic from project.

Now you have your selection in the new scheet file, and can move it wherever you want. Not the most elegant solution, but since I usually create as much I can as "schematic modules" I have a small collection of schematics i add to a project to get the stuff I usually have.

With the work being done on improving the bus things in eeschema, I cant wait to improve my modules!

 -Kristoffer