Re: Future plans on the KiCad library releases?

Hi,

Am 15.01.18 um 12:09 schrieb Rene Pöschl:
> On 15/01/18 11:16, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as the packaging for Debian will change as well for the next KiCad
>> release I've some questions pointed to the contributors and admins of
>> the libraries to be able to prepare the needed package transitions as
>> also mentioned by Jean-Samuel.
>>
>> 1. Is there some release time strategy planned?
>> Are there any release dates planned for the newly created repositories
>> and what are the planes for releasing updates of these
>> The only discussion i know of was between me and oliver over at the
> github repo for the download page:
> https://github.com/KiCad/kicad.github.io/issues/15
> There we suggested a monthly release. (We will start to tag all library
> repos once a month) The "package" for the download site is currently
> rebuild weekly.
>
>> 2. What are the planned version numbers?
>> As the libraries are changing regularly and these changes are
>> independent from some KiCad major version I guess the usage of the KiCad
>> version model isn't sufficient here. Most other project use here a date
>> as version. e.g 2018_01 or 2018-02-15
>
> As we aim for a regular release cycle independent from the kicad cycle,
> using a date as the version number would make sense to me.

I'd like to ask here again if there is some agreement found for the
versioning as I'm going, or better need to go into some final
preparation for uploading the library related packages into Debian NEW.

In detail there are some new planned source packages related to KiCad
applications which need to go through the NEW queue (and this will take
some weeks! mostly).

As agreed with Jean-Samuel we will get probably the following packages
which are also the basic for the daily build PPA.

kicad-symbols
kicad-footprints
kicad-templates
kicad-packages3d (or kicad-3dmodels)

Once I uploaded one new package to NEW all other packages should have
the same versioning layout. Currently I can use any version and also can
change this as often I like, but once in the package is in NEW I'm fixed
to the version I uploaded.

So based on the issue Rene has pointed to I currently work with
5.0.0~2018.01.23 and so on
By using the tilde every version is less than without a tilde. Some
examples.

> carsten@i5:~  $ dpkg --compare-versions 5.0.0-1 lt 5.0.0~2018.01-1 && echo first string is less than the second || echo latter is less than the first
> latter is less than the first
> carsten@i5:~  $ dpkg --compare-versions 5.0.0~2018.01.23-1 lt 5.0.0-1 && echo first string is less than the second || echo latter is less than the first
> first string is less than the second
> carsten@i5:~  $ dpkg --compare-versions 5.0.0-1 lt 5.0.0a-1 && echo first string is less than the second || echo latter is less than the first
> first string is less than the second
> carsten@i5:~  $ dpkg --compare-versions 5.0.0a-1 lt 5.0.0a+2018.02-1 && echo first string is less than the second || echo latter is less than the first
> first string is less than the second
> carsten@i5:~  $ dpkg --compare-versions 5.0-1 lt 5.0.0a-1 && echo first string is less than the second || echo latter is less than the first
> first string is less than the second

So as long the tagged version will not start by 5.0 but with 5.0.0
(based on the release version of KiCad 5) I'm currently save with my
current used version. Even if a character is added to the version.
But if the library people can now make a final decision would probably
not only help me but other packagers too!

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert