Displaying pad layers

When we display the layers of a pad, we display the top-most and bottom-most layers, and then include “Internal” if there are also any internal layers, and “Non-copper” if there are also any non-copper layers.

Sounds good so far.  Unfortunately, the composed string can be confusing:

Pad 7 of U1 on F.Cu, B.Cu, Internal, Non-copper

“Internal” and “Non-copper”, because they’re not actual layer names, parse like they’re descriptors of the whole pad: a blind, NPTH pad on front and back copper layers.  Say what?

Do we really need to know that there are non-copper layers included?  Presumably the masks always are, so that does little to distinguish one pad from another.

What about:

Pad 7 of U1 on F.Cu - B.Cu

for those that include internal layers and:

Pad 7 of U1 on F.Cu, B.Cu

for those that don’t.

Or, if we really want everything:

Pad 7 of U1 on F.Cu - B.Cu and others