Re: How to make a public branch on launchpad?

Hello *,

Am 02.02.2018 um 08:06 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
> You can use git.  There are some good tips for using git on launchpad
> here https://help.launchpad.net/Code/Git.

in my eyes git has won the race. It's the most popular vcs in recent
times. Some side notes to Launchpad, GitHub, Bibuckt, Sorceforge,
GitLab, GoogleCode, Gitea, ...

Based that git is 'just' a vcs I really dislike the current trend and
forced pushing of volunteers in community projects that the project
itself has 'decided' I as a volunteer have to use a specif way of
contributing to the project because the workflow on that specific
platform with it's dedicated WebGUI is so easy and simple (for the
maintainers of a project) to use. This isn't the right way I think. This
prevents people to do even small contributions and force people to use a
specif way for contributions, but isn't free software always a
possibility of choice?

So git is just a vcs and of course can work with various remote trees,
please don't let enforce people they only have one way to contribute
large change sets. Don't get me wrong, the various WebUIs of the
different websites like GitHub and GitLab are really great to make
rebasing and merging on my projects easy.
But they all can only do this as long as I'm registered on those
platforms and requires that the contributor has no limitations on
bandwidth and costs for access to the internet

I personally do not intent to get an account on all the possible hosting
platforms to be able to contribute one or even ten patches! One reason
for this is I don't want to put a digital sign every there in the net
but more important it's not the life of the maintainers what really
matters, for me it's the OSS software and the spirit behind the idea of
free software. So why should I accept a contribution in only one way?

So, I'd like to see something like "I prefer a git branch on e.g.
Launchpad but git trees from other systems are o.k. as well."
Adding a remote, fetching and merging/cherry-picking and removing a
remote are just four CLI calls for people who know how to use the power
of git on a command line. (Yes, reviewing may need additional steps, but
this is time you also need on the WebUIs, so that doesn't count really.)
I"ve account on Launchpad for a really long time (and I don't know why I
created one), but I definitely won't ever use any service on Launchpad
than subscriptions to MLs.

> Yep!  Git is the 800lb gorilla of vcs but it is powerful.  Once you wrap
> your head around it, you will find that it is a great vcs.  It just has
> a steep learning curve.

>From a retrospective view I had the most problems in the beginning to
work with git the fact that git is decentralized and possibility of
using real branches. It has of course a lerning curve but with just a
few basics you can learn in a few days you are able to do mostly the
things you do most often.

And today there are really a lot of good online tutorials out there, all
the big git hosting platforms are great here to help new users to keep
barriers low.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert