Re: PPA: library packages modifications

Hello Nick,

Am 16.02.2018 um 23:45 schrieb Nick Østergaard:
> So what did the final naming become?
>
> According to the PPA it looks like:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~js-reynaud/+archive/ubuntu/ppa-kicad/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=artful
>
> kicad-library (not sure what this does)
> kicad-library-all (date of this is older than the packages, but I guess
> this is a meta package)
> kicad-library-footprints
> kicad-library-packages3d
> kicad-library-symbols
> kicad-library-templates
>
> While on the figure on your page I see:
> https://wiki.debian.org/KiCad
> kicad-libraries (meta package for footprint, symbols and templates)
> kicad-footprint
> kicad-packages3d
> kicad-symbols
> kicad-templates

I can't speak for Jean-Samuel but I can say something about where we
have got an agreement on package names.

Packages what are existing in Debian are typically will be included into
Ubuntu as well and this mostly automatically. So of this Ubuntu has the
same KiCad packages like know in Debian.
PPAs are a bit different as the first character 'P' stands for
'P'ersonal and by this PPAs have no direct relationship to Debian or
Ubuntu. But users can add a PPA repository like other repositories too
like the repository for 3rd Parties and that's what PPAs are meant for.

So this all has some indirect relations to other repositories and the
naming and versions are getting a greater meaning if done right.
If a package exists in more than one repository the higher version will
win the selection and that's why we concluded we need to have the same
naming schema. Package names need to be shortest as possible but also
need a uniqueness for identification. And files in a folder can only be
provided by one package if no control information and needed action on
this can be added in both of the packages.

So the biggest gain we can have in both worlds is to take care on the
needs of each other.

What does that mean?
I suggested that it would be better if we do some rethinking of the
package names that Jean-Samuel is currently using. So we decided to do
the following changes. Most of the new packages Jean-Samuel has created
are fine and I will take them for Debian to, but with a slightly
shortening of the package name.

rename kicad-library ------------> kicad-libraries (virtual package)
rename kicad-library-footprints -> kicad-footprints
rename kicad-library-packages3d -> kicad-packages3d
rename kicad-library-symbols ----> kicad-symbols
rename kicad-library-templates --> kicad-templates

adding kicad-demos to the Debian packing too

Jean-Samuel is willing to adopt this naming schema once the packages
will arise in Ubuntu and adding some extra version string to his
packages. By this people will get the major and point releases that will
come from Debian into Ubuntu but also one day later a higher version of
the same package from the PPA of Jean-Samuel.

But for now we are a bit ahead of this all. I need to tweak
kicad-packages3d a bit more so it can be accepted by the FTP Masters and
afterwards I need to (still) adjust the packaging of the existing
src:kicad package. Due day job and other things my time to work on this
is limited to the weekends mostly.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert