Re: Packaging question

Den 25. feb. 2018 3.44 PM skrev "Steven A. Falco" <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx>:

Now that 5.0.0-rc1 is out, I'd like to ask how this should be packaged.

In particular, I'm using Fedora, and my private builds are built based on
the mechanisms from the "fedora-packaging" repo on github.  However, the
"fedora-packaging" repo still pulls in the "kicad-libraries" repo from
kicad 4.  I think that should probably change at this point.

Yes, feel free to propose patches.

In my private version of "fedora-packaging", I've removed the
"kicad-libraries" repo from the build, and added the "kicad-symbols" and
"kicad-footprints" repos to the build.

Are there plans to update the official "fedora-packaging" repo along
similar lines, and if so, is there someone I might work with on that?
Also, do packaging discussions happen on this mailing list or on a
different list?

I think it os ok to discuss these packaging related things on the dev list.

One final question - does the kicad team guide package development on each
of the various distros, or is it up to each distro owner to sort out how to
best package the project for their distro?

I think every other packager shall look at the notes Debian packager
Carsten made on https://wiki.debian.org/KiCad/ and consider if it is
applicable on that packagers platform.

For fedora, I would like to see a wxpython compat package built with gtk2.
I think debian managed to do this, but I am not sure if this is true or how
this was done.

I don't want to step on any toes - I just want to help if possible.

        Steve