Re: Git noob question

Jeff,

On 03/02/2018 03:28 PM, Jeff Young wrote:
Before I go and make a hash of everything, can someone please validate the following.

I have a bunch of 6.0 work on my master.

Making changes to master is risky unless you doing a simple bug fix but even then I work in a separate branch then merge into master before I push. You should be using a new branch at a minimum. Better yet, a branch per feature that you keep up to date with the upstream master so they merge cleanly.

I have a 5.0stable branch that I use for 5.0.

If I want to push changes for RC2, I’d do:

git push origin 5.0stable:master

As long as origin is linked to the main launchpad repo, you can just do a `git push`. If it's not linked to master than you run `git push repo_name master` where repo name is what ever you named with the `git remote` command. You can check your remote links using `git remote -v`. Make sure you rebase you changes against upstream so we don't have all of you branch/merge info in the main repo.

Wayne

Is that right?

Thanks,
Jeff.