Re: Mac HighDPI performance

The motherboard project is not very complex, I would say that performance
should be tolerable UP to that size complexity, if we set the bar any
lower, usability will suffer and people won't like KiCad because it's
sluggish and interface lag is the worst kind of lag.
My project isn't finished and Chris' project is available now, is just the
right complexity and has layout that can be used for testing as well as a
schematic.

*LG 5K 27" display running 3200x1800 (the highest resolution without making
text blurry, using this for work every day, so it's extravagant, it's
practical)*

*Actions:* pan with middle mouse, zoom back and forth.

*eeschema:*
Low Res - at least 2 times slower than would be considered normal, I would
have to guess ~400ms lag
Normal - 4-5x slower compared to low res mode ~1700ms lag
Even in low res mode, and removing 75% of the items from Chris' schematic,
the lag is still ~200-300ms, that's just not right. Additionally, I filed
https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1753054 because the mouse zoom is
screwed up in eeschema, coupled with the lag, it's unusable. Maybe the pan
lag is related to the zoom, maybe there are multiple steps being rendered
when it should just jump to where the mouse ended up at, I don't know.

*pcbnew - **Normal Resolution:*
Accelerated: No-AA, <50ms
Fallback: 500-1000ms for panning, 300-600ms for zoom
Legacy: 1300-1700ms for panning, 600ms for zoom
Low Res mode: did not notice speed increase, except maybe Fallback was
~400ms faster.

I'm not saying halt the horses, certain modes are obviously limited, ie
Legacy and Fallback by the nature of the task presented, but eeschema is
barely displaying 10% of the content pcbnew is but lagging so much worse!

Just thought I'd include rendering of the Accelerated Graphics (top to
bottom: Supersampling 4x, Subpixel AA (Ultra Quality), No AA)
All 3 modes are responsive, probably <50-100ms lag, I'd consider this
performance great, considering the amount of elements on screen.
[image: Inline image 1]

How long should it take to delete this many selected elements in pcbnew?
Answer: about 50x too long! I think it was like 3mins, perhaps ESC key
should be available to press anytime to undo the delete action and restore
to pre-delete screen when accidental actions are triggered that take
forever to complete?
[image: Inline image 2]