Re: Git noob question

On 2018-03-02 03:28 PM, Jeff Young wrote:
Before I go and make a hash of everything, can someone please validate the following.

I have a bunch of 6.0 work on my master.

I have a 5.0stable branch that I use for 5.0.

If I want to push changes for RC2, I’d do:

git push origin 5.0stable:master

I don't like git. I only use it because I have no choice when working with some Open Source projects. I try to keep my use of git simple. In the case you describe I would have multiple copies of Kicad in different directories.

For example, kicad-master, kicad-5.0, and kicad-6 (or named based on which version you are working on). In those directories I use git gui to create a branch that tracks an upstream branch. By doing that I only need to use the standard "git push" command to push changes and the changes go to the proper branch. I don't need to specify things like "origin" or a branch name.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.