Re: [fun feature request] Create PCB from schematic with one click :)

So it is already implemented in the legacy canvas:

-Global spread and place -> Spread out All Footprints
-Autoroute -> Automatically Route All Footprints

Well, two clicks instead one just one.

I'm with Wayne: no effort should be added to autorouting as there are plenty of features to sort out.

What about 16 layer autorouter, with differential pairs, automatic zones, impedance matching, etc...

We are wasting our time with this topic, but some fun from time to time doesn't hurt.

Pedro.

El 05/03/18 a las 19:49, Russell Oliver escribi�:
In terms of automatically arranging  components a force directed graph
algorithm may work quite nicely, especially if the algorithm is seeded
with the layout of components on the schematic.

A simplistic version would be to just arrange components on board sheet
as to their position on the schematic sheets.

    <mailto:stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    > I was thinking one level of abstraction higher where I just input my
    > design requirements and it spits out a schematic, full simulation to
    > match the design requirements, and a completed board layout.  That
    would
    > make my job a *lot* easier. ;)

    Maybe it can do my FPGA design for me, and also write firmware for
    the ARM processor too! Why am I doing all of this hard work when I
    could be drinking coffee and reading the New York Times?

    > All kidding aside, I was told by a very highly skilled board designer
    > not to waste our time with auto-routers because no one actually uses
    > them except for the simplest designs with lots of free board space and
    > few or no routing restrictions.  This is someone who uses Altium
    in his
    > day job and has laid out far more boards than I have.

    At the previous day job, we did VME and CompactPCI single-board
    computers, and the layout people took advantage of full-up Specctra
    autorouting. The designs had a lot of wide parallel buses and
    suchlike which could be autorouted, but there was still plenty of
    stuff on those boards which needed to be routed manually. And
    setting up constraints for the autorouter was still a couple of days
    work.

    At the current job everything is smaller. Each product has multiple
    boards that need to connect correctly. Boards are mixed signal, they
    have power supply parts, there are connectors that poke through the
    enclosure, etc etc etc and suffice it to say we never autoroute.
    Assisted routing, like the Kicad push-and-shove, and Altium�s �bus
    routing� (a feature I�d like to see in Kicad, for sure!) goes a long
    way.

    > I'm guessing auto-routers appeal to hobbyists rather than
    professionals.

    How many questions on forums do you see from hobbyists asking about
    how to autoroute, or wondering if the results from the autorouter
    are good?

    -a