Re: Proposed roadmap changes

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski <tomasz.wlostowski@xxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Please, give me a single argument what benefits Kicad would get by
> having a netlist generator as a separate program. I also asked you for
> an example of a successful graphical editing application following 'the
> unix way', but so far you've not answered my question. Does this mean
> that there isn't any?
>
> Tom

EEschema is a schematic editor. You give it a schematic file, it edits that
file and you save it. Nice simple tool.

Now you  want to tack on netlist exporting. Thats fine as long as the
entire design is in one file but what do you do when you have a multisheet
design?  Now you need a top sheet that contains the file names for all the
other sheets. You have to parse out all those names,
read those files into memory, interconnect them with the existing
connections before writing out the netlist.  All this has nothing to do
with editing schematics and should not be included in EEschema.

To answer your question: I am not aware of any popular graphics editors
that do strictly follow the unix way.

John Eaton