Re: Deletion in plugins causing trouble

I have never worked on Blender but just poked around the source a bit.
They write custom modules in CPython rather than using a wrapper like SWIG.

To expose internal data, they have a Python wrapper over a C data access
API.
The C API seems to have portions that are auto-generated by the build, and
portions manually done for each structure to be exposed.

More info:
http://dustycloud.org/misc/pycon_2011_blender_talk.pdf
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Architecture/RNA
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Python/PyRNA

If we can get an object properties system installed throughout KiCad,
perhaps we can write a lightweight "universal wrapper" over properties
get/set.
Then we can define some standard mechanism for calling methods where
necessary, but I'm guessing the bulk of Python scripts will eventually be
able to be reduced to property get/set operations (assuming we write the
"magic" in the backend that takes care of notifying other parts of the code
that things have been changed, etc).

That way, there is no longer any direct link between Python objects and C++
objects; but rather an indirect link that we control.
This should make it easier to handle cases like new/delete properly.

I'm interested in helping brainstorm this more at some point; Python/C++
interaction is something I'd like to learn more about how to do "right"
both for KiCad and for some personal projects.

-Jon