Re: rc2

On 4/3/2018 7:33 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 03/04/2018 à 13:25, Maciej Sumiński a écrit :
>>>
>>> I would rather disable it (with the possibility to re-enable in some
>>> config file for "hardcore" users). Over the last 3 years it brought us
>>> mostly troubles and no big advantage.
>>
>> I second that, the only potential issue we need to deal with is the
>> current plugin users. Once we remove the plugin, they will be stuck with
>> footprint libraries full of broken entries.
>>
>> For v6 we should simply provide a simple library updater taking
>> advantage of generic git interface (e.g. libgit), instead of tying
>> ourselves to Github.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Orson
>
> For V5, I was just talking about disabling github option in wizard only to avoid issue.
> The github plugin is an other story.

Please disable it in the wizard only to prevent users from using the
legacy libraries.  Disabling the plugin completely will break existing
users fp-lib-table entries which is not acceptable.  Until we can
provide some type of migration tool, we will have to leave the github
plugin enabled.  Hopefully over time, users will slowly migrate away
from using the github plugin.

> In V6, we will need a library updater for symbol libs, footprint libs, 3d shapes libs, and perhaps
> some other things (python scripts for instance)

Maybe someone could create a git plugin to manage updating libraries.