What are the smallest values for pad paste and mask clearances? Why can't polygon pads not use negative mask clearance?

We (the librarians) discovered that our workflow (or is it a workaround for missing features) of defining special paste or mask areas does not work as intended.

We use paste or mask only pads (no copper, only past or mask selected, no pin number assigned) to specify mask/paste areas if we can not use the normal way of defining them. (example a large exposed pad needs split up paste areas.) These pads naturally have a clearance setting of 0 which tells kicad that the project settings should be applied. (We did not think about that.)

To avoid this i assume we will need to set a small clearance in such pads as a workaround. What is the smallest value possible that can be used?

---

And a strange observation i made regarding polygon pads. One can not set a negative soldermask clearance on the pad level. (soldermask defined pad) But a negative clearance on the footprint level is possible. (and results in the expected mask area reduction.)

Follow ups