Re: [RFC]: New non copper pad paste and mask clearances behavior

This sounds like a reasonable solution for kicad 5 to me.
Thanks for taking care of it.

On 02/05/18 14:58, jp charras wrote:
Hi All,

Dick Hollenbeck ( who wrote a lot of code for Kicad) proposed to use global mask margin values only
for pad at least on a copper layer.

(I am thinking this is also what was expected by some of guys)

Attached, a patch to use global mask settings only for pads on copper layers to build the mask shape
(solder or paste layer) of the pad.

Therefore pads *only* on a solder or paste layer are no longer affected by global settings.
(The drawback is a change in the behavior of previous Pcbnew versions, but it should not impact a
lot of old boards or old footprints)

The change in code is very small.

I added a info message in dialogs, in the pad clearance setup sub-window to explain the purpose of
this setting.
This is perhaps the main problem, because a message in a dialog must be short, and yet understandable...
The info messages are not perfect.

Please, test it.