Re: FreeRouting

For what it is worth, and despite knowing it is politically incorrect to admit to using an autorouter, I have used Freeroute in the past and would like to continue using it in the future. As much fun as manual routing is (I treat it like a video game) sometimes you just want a board quickly. You can always clean up dumb routes.

Moreover, like Geographic reannotation, autorouting is a normal feature for a professional PCB CAD tool and its absence is the sort of thing which is noticed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kicad-developers <kicad-developers-bounces+brian=documenteddesigns.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Wayne Stambaugh
Sent: May 23, 2018 9:17 AM
To: Luca Mini <luca.mini.freelance@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Kicad-developers] FreeRouting

Hi Luca,

Thanks for link.  It appears that we may have been a bit premature on the removal of the FreeRouting dialog.  I just downloaded the latest source code from the website below and the latest source file modification date is 10/27/17 so it appears that our assumption that FreeRouting is no longer being maintained is false.  There are even instructions on how to use KiCad with FreeRouting[1] which shows the removed dialog.  Of course, we could ping the FreeRouting folks to update their website to use the KiCad export and import features.  Would someone please check on the user forum and see if we are going to get a lot of backlash for removing this?

Thanks,

Wayne

[1]: https://freerouting.org/freerouting/using-with-kicad