Error importing the wxPython API!

Hey folks, I've run into an odd problem that I could use some help fixing.

I needed to help test Orson's possible fixes to a critical bug, which we were expecting to result in a Git bisect. I cloned my usual development repo into a new tree and checked out the "master" branch to avoid any possibility of my local changes affecting the tests. In hopes of avoiding messing up my normal installation in /usr/local, when I built this new tree I specified an installation directory with the -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<prefix> option to Cmake. Since it wasn't installing in a system directory I didn't use "sudo" during the installation of this test version.

I discovered that when starting KiCad from the KDE menu I found it ran the test version rather than the version in /usr/local. That was a surprise, but not a disaster. Once the testing was over I wanted to go back to my regular version installed in /usr/local, so in the test build directory I ran "make uninstall". Yet starting KiCad from the KDE menu resulted in a project manager that reported the test build version, not my locally-modified build version.

Somewhat confused as to what executable was running, I deleted the entire test repo. I then went to my local build repo and re-ran "sudo make install" which completed successfully. I then started getting the expected version from the project manager window and from eeschema. However, pcbnew fails with this error:

    *** Error importing the wxPython API! ***

I haven't changed my system configuration recently, so I ran "sudo make uninstall", cleaned the build and recompiled everything from scratch, and ran "sudo make install". Again the install ran without errors, but I still can't run pcbnew. Here's the output from running pcbnew from a terminal window:

$ pcbnew
23:05:31: Debug: Checking template path '/usr/local/share/kicad/template' exists
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'PNG file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'JPEG file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'TIFF file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'GIF file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'PNM file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'PCX file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'IFF file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'Windows icon file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'Windows cursor file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'Windows animated cursor file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'TGA file'
23:05:31: Debug: Adding duplicate image handler for 'XPM file'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/__init__.py", line 49, in <module>
    from wx._core import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_core.py", line 16923, in <module>
    from _gdi import *
ValueError: bad marshal data (unknown type code)
23:06:08: Error: pcbnewInitPythonScripting() failed.
Segmentation fault

Have I done something dumb? Is this worth filing a bug report?

-Reece

Follow ups