MarkTrace vs GetConnectedItems

What is the difference between BOARD::MarkTrace() and CONNECTIVITY_DATA::GetConnectedItems()?

We use the former in SELECTION_TOOL::expandSelectedConnection() and the later in SELECTION_TOOL::selectCopper().

I’m looking at https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1772251 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1772251> and trying to make I and U select any zones connected to the traces as well.  This is easy with GetConnectedItems(), but not MarkTrace().  However, if I replace MarkTrace() with GetConnectedItems() in expandSelectedConnection() then it seems to work fine.

Thanks for any pointers,
Jeff.