Re: Stable 5 release.

On 7/12/2018 8:01 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 12/07/2018 à 13:46, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
>> Rene,
>>
>> Bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1781290 may be an issue.  The
>> decision to separate symbol power pins as a separate symbol unit caused
>> this bug.  I didn't think about this when the changes to the symbol
>> libraries where made but it is going to cause issues for anyone trying
>> to create simulations.  I preferred the old symbols but it's not
>> something I feel strongly about but given that these changes caused this
>> issue we may need to rethink this decision or provide alternative
>> symbols for spice simulation.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> There is an other issue:
> if the separate symbol power pins unit does not exist (for some reason: not added, or with a
> incorrect reference), the ERC does not detect the component is not powered.

This is a far bigger issue than not being able to create a spice
simulation but using separate power pin units is fairly common for big
FPGAs and uCs so I'm guessing users are aware of the potential pitfalls.

> Fixing that should be in V6 version (as separate symbol power pins unit is a good idea), but it
> cannot be made in V5.x

I'm indifferent about the separate power pin unit for logic ICs and
op-amps.  They make more sense to me for larger ICs.  In the mean time
we should probably find a solution for spice users since we broke the
logic and op-amp symbols.  The easiest solution would be to provide the
old logic and amplifier libraries.  I don't want this to hold up the v5
release but we should consider creating separate spice logic and op-amp
symbol libraries for 5.1.