Re: Translation of dialog_bom_help.html

On 7/12/2018 8:59 AM, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11.07.2018 21:51, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
>> This probably should have been done as a cpp string wrapped with the
>> translation macro _().  I'm not sure there is anything we can do to make
>> this translatable.  Anyone else have any ideas?
>
> We could move the entire text to the user documentation, and make the
> dialog point at it.
>
> If the dialog is unusable without the documentation, then that is a
> separate problem, but I doubt it's that bad.
>
>    Simon

I completely missed the fact the html file is converted to a C string by
Html2C.cmake.  It would be easy enough to modify Html2C.cmake to wrap
the string with the _() macro.  The problem I see is the string (see
generated file eeschema/dialogs/dialog_bom_help_html.h) has a lot of
markup which I'm sure will make life miserable for translators.

We could try Simon's suggestion of moving the html text to the eeschema
user docs and provide a link using the help button.  We would have to
add code to point the help url to the translated version if it exists
but that shouldn't be too difficult (famous last words).  The contents
of the BOM dialog html file do not appear to exist anywhere in the
eeschema user doc.

In the future we should refrain from doing this so that all source
strings and documentation can be translated.