Re: 5.1 branch

On 16/07/18 17:54, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> I was really hoping just to fix the wxDC issues with GTK3 rather than
> implement GAL unless Tom implemented a wxDC GAL and that is all we
> expose for 5.1.  The primary goal here is to fix the GTK3 rendering
> issues so we can enable wxPython support again.  We need to limit our
> risk exposure for 5.1.

Hi Wayne,

The sooner we drop wxDC, the better for Kicad. I wouldn't do it because
of the GTK3/Python issues (since it's a neverending Linux problem of
changing APIs and libraries), but for performance reasons - on OSX for
instance, eeschema is sometimes barely usable because of slow drawing.

I hope I'll be able to devote some time to cleaning up the eeschema-gal
code in the coming weeks. So far, the main canvas and the library editor
are implemented, with the symbol preview widgets & library browser
remaining.

> I'm assuming the printing is a v6 goal.

Orson made quite a lot of progress with Cairo printing. IIRC it can make
it to the 5.1.

Cheers,
Tom