Re: The version string in the master branch

Hi,

On 24.07.2018 09:40, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> The version string which is the visible version information seems to be
> 6.0 something. It has already caused confusion for those who use
> nightlies. I hope this will be fixed permanently. Is there any hope to
> get it changed to something unambiguous, like "post5.0-gitXXXXXX"?

I wonder what is wrong with standard git-describe with no special tag? A
version like "5.0.0-452-g23849572" is recognizable as being 452 commits
newer than 5.0.0, which gives me an immediate impression how different I
can expect it to be, and still sorts before 5.1 or 6.0.

   Simon