Re: Grid & zoom drop-downs in GerbView and Eeschema

If I read between the lines, it seems like the more important thing is to
be able to tell what grid selection is active, not necessarily to change it
through a dropdown (the dropdown is just what is already implemented).

There are other ways of doing this that take up less real-estate.  For
example, Altium puts it in tiny text in the status bar, and you can get
immediate feedback when you toggle through grid settings using hotkeys.

[image: image.png]

We already make some use of our status bar (mostly for showing coordinates)
but I think we could generally use it much better, since it is a whole
window-width of "free" real estate for showing information that people
might want to know such as the grid setting.

On the other hand, I don't think there is any need at all for the user to
see a dropdown of zoom choices.  I would just as soon remove that from
PcbNew as I would find a way to add it to Eeschema (and this includes from
the context menu)

-Jon