Re: wxFormBuilder documentation

Hey John,

On 7/31/2018 8:33 AM, John Beard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to the Kicad UI Guidelines [1]:
>
> "KiCad's dialogs must be designed with wxFormBuilder. As wxFormBuilder
> available in packages is likely to be a different version than what
> other developers have installed, it has been decided to use the
> version kept in a Github repository, branch wxFB3.5RC-1 to avoid
> version mismatch."
>
> From Wayne's email of the 7th Feb 2017, "After the next stable
> release, we should not be using wxFormbuilder for new code."

This is my personal preference but I'm not the only developer who
creates dialogs.  I would rather have buy in from the development team
rather than force my will upon everyone.  Now is as good of a time as
any to discuss this.  We should finalize this decision by the time we
open up the master branch for v6 development and keep the current policy
for the 5.1 release.

> I propose that the requirement is removed from the Development
> documentation and replaced with something that says something like:
>
> * wxFB is used for existing wxFB dialogs
> * It is {required|permitted|recommended} to not use it for new dialogs
> * It is permitted to convert wxFB dialogs (carefully and tidily!) to
> normal dialogs
> * Existing generated wxFB code should not be manually changed, unless
> the dialog is converted to no longer use wxFB at all, and the wxFB
> files removed.
>
> Or whatever is current policy, if that's incorrect.
The development team should agree on a policy, update the UI policy
document accordingly, and then actually follow the policy.

> Furthermore, we should also move towards a more complete and
> consistent set of re-usable UI widgets. Particularly the margins/sizer
> stuff which is currently hardcoded all the place in wxFB files. These
> should also be described in the developer documentation.

If we decide to go with source coded dialogs then a standard set of
wxSizer and wxSizerFlags objects are a must so our dialog layouts will
be consistent.