Re: wxFormBuilder documentation

Le 31/07/2018 à 17:10, Simon Richter a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 31.07.2018 16:19, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
>>> From Wayne's email of the 7th Feb 2017, "After the next stable
>>> release, we should not be using wxFormbuilder for new code."
>
>> This is my personal preference but I'm not the only developer who
>> creates dialogs.  I would rather have buy in from the development team
>> rather than force my will upon everyone.  Now is as good of a time as
>> any to discuss this.  We should finalize this decision by the time we
>> open up the master branch for v6 development and keep the current policy
>> for the 5.1 release.
>
> FWIW, I prefer wxFB to hand-crafted dialogs. There are so many things to
> get wrong accidentally, like forgetting to make strings translatable, or
> to register an event.
>
>    Simon

AFAIK during some times wxFormbuilder looked like it was no longer (or poorly) maintained.
Since one year,it is now well maintained, and one of reasons (perhaps the main reason) about using
or not using wxFB for new dialogs in Kicad no longer exists.

To be honest, I share the Simon's opinion, and when creating good dialogs by hand, using a lot of
sizers is not so easy.

I also like the fact all the tedious code to build a dialog is in a "black box", and only the
interesting code is managed by hand in a much more understandable and maintainable separate file.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS