Code style autoformat

Dear All,

I'm trying to get my first patch into Kicad, see this thread:
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg37454.html

As Seth (rightfully) pointed out, my patch didn't fully follow the coding
guidelines. Before i started to manually fix the issues, i looked whether
there is any infrastructure for autoformatting in the source tree, and i
found:
* a clang-format config file (_clang-format)
* an uncrustify config file (uncrustify.cfg)
* a script for checking code style in changed files (tools/checkcoding.py)

It seems to me that the uncrustify.cfg and the _clang-format files are not
totally consistent, and the  tools/checkcoding.py (which uses uncrustify with
the uncrustify.cfg file) is still based on bzr, while the official Kicad
sources are hosted on git since a while. I ported the script to use git (happy
to send a patch if needed), and ran it on my changeset, but it turned out that
also the existing codebase is violating the uncrustify rules. I ran the clang-
format ruleset as well, at it also doesn't give a clear result.

So my questions are:
* Is there any canonized ruleset for autoformatting the code?
* If yes, which one it is?
* What is the policy if the file(s) I'm modifying in my patch violate the
coding guidelines? Should i send a patch first to fix the format of the
existing version, and then send my actual patch against this cleaned up
version?

Thanks in advance, regards

--
Zoltan Gyarmati