Re: 5.0.1 release

Le 22/09/2018 à 20:09, Seth Hillbrand a écrit :
> Hi Wayne/JP-
>
> Am Sa., 22. Sep. 2018 um 10:22 Uhr schrieb Wayne Stambaugh
> <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>>:
>

>     You may want to coordinate with JP on this.  I believe he is working on
>     a fix as well.  I also have a few ideas that I would like to discuss
>     about the current design going forward.  I'm going to be busy the rest
>     of the day but tomorrow I will have some time to go over some of my
>     thoughts about the current situation.
>

> Just seeing this.  1778564 turned out to be a clang-specific problem.
>
> Long-term, a lot of this probably goes away if we incorporate kicad2step
> internally but I'll be curious to hear other thoughts/options.
>
> -S

I recently made a few tests on Linux, and find there are many issues
with filenames (and strings) using non ascii7 chars.

These issues are encountered when kicad2step is a console application
using a wxAppConsole application.

When a similar (nearly the same) code run using wxApp, these problems
are gone.

For instance, on my Linux 14.04 French, inside a wxAppConsole:
"wxLogMessage( "12à" );" segfaults.

And wxPrint, wxFile, wxFileName have serious issues.
(wxLogMessage and wxPrint print nothing if a string contains unicode chars)

Inside a wxApp, it works as expected.

Currently, I have a modified source (only for tests)  where I removed
all wxLogMessage calls and replaced by a Report(wxStrin& msg) call to
avoid issues in wxLogMessage .

And I am waiting for Wayne's ideas.

Of course incorporate kicad2step internally will fix these non ascii7
char issues.

But there is a difficulty: Opencascade prints messages on a console when
running:
How to collect them if we want to print them inside a window in Kicad.

An alternate option (I tested it) is modifying kicad2step to use wxApp,
and run it like now as external application.

I don't think it can be done for 5.01 release.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS