Re: Windows build symbol files?

Le 12/10/2018 à 00:52, Nick Østergaard a écrit :
> I was not aware of that change, but I have made a test build if anyone
> likes to testrun it.
> This is master built with debug as the build type and the option enabled.
>
> http://downloads.kicad-pcb.org/windows/testing/patched/kicad-patched-144-ddea4e11d-x86_64.exe
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 22:54, Seth Hillbrand <seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Simon-
>>
>> Am Do., 11. Okt. 2018 um 11:33 Uhr schrieb Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> These should be Release builds, so no debug information.
>>

>> OK.  Could we not strip the symbols in the linking to give a bit more information in the dump files?  Or does that incur a large penalty under windows?
>>
>>> The toplevel CMakeLists.txt complains if someone tries to build
>>> RelWithDebInfo, Debug binaries are just massive and slow, and I have no
>>> idea how well debugging of MSYS2 binaries actually works on Windows.
>>

>> I thought JP pushed a fix (BUILD_SMALL_DEBUG_FILES?) for the over-sized debug binaries on windows.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -S

BUILD_SMALL_DEBUG_FILES allows creating "small" files in debug mode on
Windows (for instance _pcbnew.kiface size is 66 Mbytes instead of 1.2
Gbytes on my install)
Under gdb, variable values are not available, but function names and
line numbers are.
On my 32 bit install, I am not able to run a full debug file: I am
running out of memory most of time (well: kicad + _pcbnew.kiface + gdb +
memory allocated for Windows can be more than 4Gbytes)

I added this option because RelWithDebInfo option is useless for me: it
still generates very large files (600 Mbytes).

But be careful with Debug builds: in countries using a comma as fp
separator, we always have a wxASSERT when reading a file containing a
bitmap (i.e. .wks file) and when reading config files (i.e. running
Eeschema or Pcbnew from Kicad).

Currently I do not know how to fix this annoying issue.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS