Re: CERN Donation link?

Hello, I have little to add to what Wayne said. Just a few clarifications:

- Donors to KiCad donate because they trust we will use the money
correctly. For practical reasons, they cannot decide what specifically will
be done with the money, even if we are always happy to read their
suggestions. But these are voluntary donations, not contracts. All
donations to the CERN & Society Foundation are like this. KiCad is no
exception.
- Every single cent donated to KiCad through CERN goes into KiCad
development. There is no overhead whatsoever, contrary to the funding
schemes of other Free and Open Source software projects.
- We always consult with Wayne before selecting a work package for paid
development, and never proceed without his agreement.
- A relatively simple way to see the impact of donations is to grep for
CERN copyright in the KiCad sources and exclude work where Tom or Orson are
the authors. Examples from the past (and present) include Eagle project
import and bus connection improvements [1].
- Money which was raised during the v6 campaign will be spent during the v6
development cycle. Embarking on v6 development too early would result in
unnecessary merging costs, as KiCad is constantly moving.
- The donations link is [2] or, equivalently, [3]. The v6 donation campaign
is over now, so please don't use [4].
- Anybody, feel free to contact me if you have good ideas for how to boost
KiCad funding in the future.

Cheers,

Javier

[1] https://github.com/craftyjon/kicad/tree/bus_upgrades