Re: [RFQ] - Do Not Fit

Oliver,

On 11/26/2018 4:03 AM, Oliver Walters wrote:
> I'd like some direction from a project leader on how I should progress,
> rather than wasting my efforts:
>
> 1. Adding "DNP" option to schematic components.
>
> This can be achieved now, without breaking the .sch file format. It
> allows components to be marked as DNP in the schematic and in the
> exported netlist and BoM files.

I would prefer that we defer this to the new schematic file format as
part of the v6 release.  No file format changes are accepted during
stable release series including using schematic symbol fields for new
features.  I will be submitting the schematic file format document for
comment soon.

> Should I submit a patch for this part of the feature? I can submit a
> suggestion for a fully-fledged assembly variant management system after
> the new sch file format is written. But I think this DNP feature is
> useful for now. I know I would use it all the time.

Not until after 5.1 is released.  Once 5.1 is released, the development
branch will be open for new features.

> 2. Add "DNP" option to PCB
>
> I think the schematic should be in charge of managing variants. The
> logical information (supplier, resistor value, LED color) etc are
> contained in the schematic and these values are what differ in assembly
> variation. So the DNP status should be pushed to the PCB (so that
> footprints can be excluded from assembly files as required).

I agree with your assessment that this feature belongs in the schematic
and not the board.  I see variants as being part of the schematic BOM
feature.

> a) I do not think that marking a footprint as DNP changes the placement
> "type" (SMT / THT / virtual) it is instead a modifier
>
> b) This requires a file format change. Would such a change be supported
> in a 5.x release?

The policy is no file format changes during stable release series so all
v5 releases will have the same file format.

> c) How should this information be encoded in the module description in
> the .kicad_pcb file? Use the 'properties' token? Implement a new custom
> token?

There should be a new custom token and a bump to the file revision.
Properties are for saving information for use by third party tools and
should not be used for internal features.

> Feedback appreciated. I'd like to move forward on this and am willing to
> do the work to eventually support proper variant management. But need
> some support from the higher-ups ;)

I recommend creating either a blueprint or some type of public document
that developers can comment on so we can define the behavior of this
feature.  It doesn't have to be formal.  A simple bulleted list will do.
 Once we agree on the behavior, implementing it will be less painful
than the dealing with scope creep.

I think this would be a useful feature so I would support it.

Cheers,

Wayne