Re: [RFC] Symbol library file format

Simon,

On 1/2/19 8:39 PM, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On 02.01.19 23:20, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
>>> This would be an artificial unit for the file format, not necessarily
>>> the true internal unit (which I want to unify across the entire program
>>> as soon as feasible, but that should be independent from the file formats).
>
>> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a true internal unit.
>
> The unit we're currently using internally (1nm for pcbnew, 1mil for
> eeschema, etc). This one shouldn't leak into the file format IMO.

Like the board file format, I plan to use millmeters as the file unit
which will be precision clamped to the internal unit of the
symbol/schematic file formats be it 10nm or 100nm.

>>> The other thing I'd like to see are standard properties for tagging
>>> library conformance, so components that have been verified by library
>>> maintainers would contain the name, version and variant of the library
>>> conventions they have been tested against, and these tags would be
>>> removed when editing.
>
> [...]
>
>> I'm not sure it's a good idea to embed this information in symbol
>> libraries because how would it be defined for a user (non-KiCad)
>> library.  It could give users a false impression that a library is an
>> official library if it's abused.
>
> That's why it would be nice to have name/version/variant. Official libs
> would use "KLC" as the name, while users can define their own in-house
> rules if they need to.

I'm not sure this will have the desired effect although I'm not opposed
to it.  We have already seen cases where the header in the board file
has been abused by rogue scripts and hand editing.