Re: On EESCHEMA symbol library plugins

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 9:59 AM Brian <lotharyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello everyone,

tl;dr - hi, I'm new here and I'd like to suggest a couple small
changes
to make maintaining my private fork a little easier. Presuming I can

present a concise patch that adheres to the coding standard, what's
the
right way to propose it?

In general, you post the patch to the list. *caveats apply

During v6, we are going to be changing the schematic and library file formats. This will require us to register/recognize multiple plugins for different types of files. It sounds like your work may fit into this mold.

However, given that your patch is rather substantial, some additional planning and documentation will be required. You'll want to write up the outline of what you'd like to do and how you plan on doing it before working out the coding details. This will allow us to modify the plan of work to fit with the rest of the v6 planning before you spend a lot of coding time.

Here [1] is an example of one that I wrote up for work I'm doing during v6. Feel free to copy format (I borrowed quite a bit from a proposal Tom wrote up earlier) and structure for your proposal.

The more you describe in detail before you propose the patch, the easier it will be to get merged.

BTW, I really like the idea of an ODBC interface. It could be extremely useful and I hope we can work out the fiddly implementation details that this would bring.

Best-
Seth

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jdag7AdnR5mmLypq8hhJ2fWHuQ15drSAEhkBaCyel70/edit?usp=sharing