Re: [RFC] online (real-time) ERC/DRC

Jon,

I would be open to a real time error ERC checking as long as it met the
following criteria:

It can be disabled by the user.

A sane way to determine when it makes sense to actually start and stop
the real time ERC testing can be designed.  I don't want a bunch of ERC
indicators every time I add a couple of new symbols to a design after I
have run the ERC and fixed the initial issues.  This would get annoying
pretty quickly.

On 3/23/2019 5:57 PM, Jon Evans wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to start laying the groundwork for online ERC/DRC.
>
> This means, for example:
> - Objects will know if they have any ERC/DRC errors
> - If objects are edited, associated error markers can be cleared/updated
>
> Eventually, we could add a (optional) mode where new ERC/DRC errors can
> be added in real-time as the user edits.  To begin, I'd only be clearing
> or updating existing errors (generated with the offline / batch ERC/DRC
> process we have now).
>
> For the schematic, I think all ERC checking will able to be done in
> real-time once my new connectivity stuff is merged.  For the PCB, of
> course there are some DRC checks that are way too slow to be done in
> real-time, but we could explore whether some checks are fast enough.

Real time DRC testing is a different conversation.  From what I've
observed with some of the more complex designs I've tested, I don't
think we are anywhere near ready for this conversion without making a
lot of performance improvements to our DRC code.

Wayne