Re: kicad_pcb, kicad_mod format change for daily build?

On 4/15/19 8:50 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 15/04/2019 à 15:34, Jeff Young a écrit :
>> Yes, this was intentional.  It allows users to put things like spaces in layer names and other user-editable things.
>>
>> I’ll fix up the STEP exporter….
>>
>>> On 15 Apr 2019, at 13:56, easyw <easyw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> recently I have noticed that both kicad_pcb and kicad_mod seems to have changed their format.
>>> It have been introduced double quotes for layers pads etc.
>>> Is that necessary or intentional?
>>>
>>> Here two related issues links:
>>> footprint
>>> https://github.com/easyw/kicadStepUpMod/issues/13#issuecomment-481160108
>>> pcb
>>> https://forum.kicad.info/t/bad-layer-data-error-when-exporting-step/16322/11
>>>
>>> and a small diff example:
>>>
>>> (layers
>>>    (0 F.Cu signal)
>>>    (31 B.Cu signal)
>>>
>>> (layers
>>>    (0 "F.Cu" signal)
>>>    (31 "B.Cu" signal)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Maurice
>
> Exactly, in these files, user strings (like fields, pad names, layer
> names...) were previously quoted on request, i.e. if they contained a
> space or some other special delimiter char.
>
> Now they are always quoted, which is better: user strings are always
> clearly identified.
> This is not really a format change.

JP, I think you are blending syntax with grammar.   I do not understand the need for this
change and currently do not agree with it.  It creates noise in version control systems,
and makes the files bigger, for no real gain.

The save functions have always done a nice job of deciding whether a quote is necessary.
At this pace the files will end up looking like javascript before long, and will be noisy.

Dick