Re: PATCH: Raytracing - a more pleasing way sequencing blocks to render ?

On 01/05/2019 07:29, Henner Zeller wrote:

Since this render sequence starts in one corner, it usually takes a
while until the "meat" of the render hits the interesting parts in the
middle of the board.

Yes, this is certainly annoying!

So I implemented an alternative sequence: from the center out, in a
growing circle.

Very good idea, and a nice patch.

To ease the time long renders take, it is actually two
complementing checkerboard patterns in consecutive passes (hard to
explain, you have to patch and look for yourself). I find this much
more pleasing to watch and also it helps to early see for the user if
they want to adjust the view as the important parts are rendered
first.

It's a very nice idea, and an elegant implementations, but I am not sure the checkerboard makes it easier to see the result. Perhaps it's just me, but it's unclear with the checker pattern as you can't get a "good look" at any part of the board until the second pass. So you sacrifice a lot of the benefit of rendering the board first, because you still have to wait until ~50% before you start getting "nice" results.

given the complexity and the added end-user confusion and the
essentially imperceptible performance penalty, I'd tend towards just
using the simple implementation without menu-bar settings).

I also see a <1% performance difference, so I'm inclined to agree that the setting is not really useful (much as I do love to have millions of settings!).

But I have a pretty slow machine, perhaps it makes a bigger difference on some machines?

These patches are against the 5.1 branch, but it also applies cleanly to master.

@Wayne, is this too "feature-y" to go to 5.1? It's not really a bug.

Cheers,

John