Re: 6.0 string proposal

On 5/3/19 9:41 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> There is a secondary goal of removing wxWidgets from our low level
> objects.  Maybe some day we can build the low level KiCad non-ui
> libraries sans wxWdigets.  My thinking is that wxString should only come
> into play at the UI level when dealing with wxWidgets UI code.  Being
> able to use a standard C++ string implementation would (may?) go a long
> way in helping with that goal.

That goal is what I had in mind when I wrote the UTF8 class, and its bidirectional
conversions to and from wxString.  I think you can pass instances of UTF8 to wx functions
in many cases, and assign to UTF8 on function returns.

But, you don't have all the nice translation support there.  You could through use wx
translation support and simply assign to UTF8, however.