Re: Benchmarking kicad compilation on CPUsreleased 6 years apart

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 05:28:07PM -0400, Brian Piccioni wrote:

> Do you use Visual Studio to compile Kicad? If so, how? I’m not very good with things like cmake and I’ve tried and tried to get KiCad (or even just PCBNew) to compile with Visual Studio and end up with various problems I can’t solve like missing packages, etc..

I'm still doing automatic Visual Studio builds on Jenkins, and I think I've
found all places where I need to do "@echo on" so all commands show up in
the build logs.

There is a vcpkg based build[1] that is missing a few packages, but you can
probably lift the vcpkg incantations and the cmake integration of vcpkg
from there.

There is also a everything-from-scratch Visual Studio build[2] that pulls
in all required packages as artifacts and gives them to cmake in a way that
it understands, which sometimes are cmake variables and sometimes
environment variables.

I'd probably get started with vcpkg, and then add the missing packages from
the everything-from-scratch recipes. The required packages are collected on
a separate page[3] on my Jenkins installation.

If you really want to do a good deed, you can make vcpkg packages from the
missing stuff and submit them.

   Simon

[1] https://jenkins.simonrichter.eu/job/windows-kicad-msvc-vcpkg/
[2] https://jenkins.simonrichter.eu/job/windows-kicad-msvc-head/