Re: Back annotate references from PCB

On 23/11/19 10:05, Alexander Shuklin wrote:
Hi Dino,
I would say "back annotation" and "geographical annotation" are just
different things. We with Brian plan to implement both of them.
Basically when you want to get references from board and apply them to
corresponding schematic, that back annotation. If you re-annotate
footprints in PCB according it's position that's geographical
annotation. I think we will do geographical annotation, which will
call back annotation straight away.
Sometimes there's a reason to have back-annotation without
geographical annotation: once I was asked by our designer "to rename
that, that and that one connector", for it would correspond his wires
numbers and documentation. Of course you can still do it manually, but
if back annotation will be implemented, why not to let user call it
alone?

Good point. Having two tools at the price of one would be better than have one tool only (and having back annotation function exported to python would open the door to user's personal custom back-annotate scripts). By the way: How about implementing back annotation in kicad itself and the "geographical annotation" as a python action-plugin (that calls back annotation on all selected components)? That would enable users to create their custom back-annotation scripts with different "unconventional geometries" easily, just modifying the original script source. Drawback: I don't know which of the two methods ("all in c++" or "core functions in c++ and higher level as a script") will be easier to implement/debug.

Cheers,
Dino.