Re: thoughts on hierarchical schematics

Kicad implemented hierarchy in a way that was different than how it was
usually done by the rest of the industry.  The fix is to see how everyone
does it and do it the same way.

1) Projects and Libraries merge into a single entity . The project that you
design and upload to github.com is download by your users as a library. So
your project and library file formats must dovetail so that one design repo
satisfies both at the same time. The libraries that you downloaded were
once someone else's  project

2) Add bottoms up design. Kicad needs a "Make Symbol" menu pick to create a
symbol from the schematic.

3) Store the current hierarchical symbols created by top down kicad design
in the same file format as bottoms up symbols.

Do those three things and start using attributes and your problems will be
solved.