running gerbview from local build on macOS

Hi! I'm having difficulties launching gerbview from my local build.

I'm opening kicad.app like this, while standing in the build directory
(/Users/lijon/Coding/kicad/build/master)

    open kicad/kicad.app

...which works fine. However, clicking the gerbview button in the
project manager launches an old gerbview installed in systemwide
/Applications/KiCad/

Trying to open it manually by

    open gerbview/gerbview.app

fails with "Failed to load kiface library
“/Users/lijon/Coding/kicad/build/Contents/PlugIns/_gerbview.kiface”
and then crashes.

Same with:

    ./gerbview/gerbview.app/Contents/MacOS/gerbview

except now it tries to look in
/Users/lijon/Coding/kicad/build/master/Contents/PlugIns/

I've also tried to stand in the kicad.app directory and open it from
there, but with similar results.

Any ideas how to run a locally built gerbview on macOS?

Cheers
--
/Jonatan
http://kymatica.com