MSVC build, incomplete version info

Thanks to Mark Roszko's help I can build now with MSVC and KiCad runs ok.

But then, the version info looks strange (see below). I'm not pulling or
branching,

simply copying the source over. What am I missing?

Application: KiCad

Version: 5.99.0-unknown, debug build

Libraries:

                wxWidgets 3.1.4

                libcurl/7.73.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19041), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian,
wxMSW

Build Info: