Re: Compiling KiCAD 5.99 on Raspberry Pi (400)

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 1:05 AM Knochi.de <mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’m using the standard Raspberry OS which is “raspian buster”
> libcurl4-gnutls-dev was the correct pick. So continuing with resolving dependencies for now.

Nick reminded us that on .deb based systems there are often library
packages with -dev in their name which are needed for building. They
aren't visible in the binary package dependencies, but you can
actually see all build time dependencies for KiCad in
http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kicad/kicad_5.0.2+dfsg1-1.dsc
(or http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kicad/kicad_5.1.9+dfsg1-1~bpo10+1.dsc
in backports) so there's no need to guess. Whether all of them are
available for the raspberry version of Debian, I don't know. These
sources are authoritative because the Debian packaging system builds
the KiCad packages using these dependencies. At least no build time
dependency can be missing from them, although it's theoretically
possible that some of them can't be satisfied on some port of the
distro.

> Next is how to apply patches. From my understanding I need to apply patches to certain files, plus the documentation says “platform dependent patches” so e.g. for boost I don’t need the “mingw” stuff.
> Do I need to apply them at all? They are very old.

I really don't know how these patches work or how they are applied,
but there shouldn't be need to apply them manually. I have built KiCad
on about 6 different Linux distros recently and haven't needed to
patch anything.

Eeli Kaikkonen