Problem opening a PCB file

I've found a project on github [1] that I am interested in, but I have not been able to open the PCB file correctly.  It seems that 5.1 is too old to handle this file, but 5.99 has several issues, as described in [2].

It looks like the ground plane is not being processed properly.  I also noted that the three "zone" buttons on the left pane of pcb_new are grayed out, which seems very strange.

I'm not sure if the original project authors did something wrong.  I see both a .pro and a .kicad_pro file in the directory, so they must have switched major releases at some point.  But I'd still expect pcb_new to be able to deal with the board file.

	Steve

[1] https://github.com/phl0/MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat/tree/master/hardware/r2.0-mini
[2] https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/8739

Follow ups