kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Simplified Chinese Some Menu Translations Do Not Take Effect

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 08:15:48AM +0200, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 02.05.2018 um 07:56 schrieb liuguang:
> > I’m sorry,not stated clearly. the operating system is Windows 10  64 bit  .

> > I downloaded the i18n-zh_CN file from github and opened the .po file
> > with Poedit. No menu was found for translation. I will not use C++
> > programming, who can help me, update the .po file from the source
> > code so that I can translate, thank you !
> well, you don't need to do any C++ programming while doing l10n work,
> but for a comfortable work with Poedit e.g. you need at least the source
> code of KiCad, especially for updating to newer source file versions. So
> I highly recommend you use a local git tree of KiCad or at minimum a
> snapshot archive and extract this to a place you wanted to use it.

[...]
> Two (or three) possibilities I see now.
> 1. Someone will pushing a updated po file against the recent KiCad
> version for zh_CN to the repo, no negative impact here as the old or new
> string are not translated or detectable within the MO file catalog.

For the time being I just did it for him. No problem if asked here to
update any language string catalog. Asking the tranlator list should be
safe because it avoids conflicts. In case of conflict though it is
reasonable easy to merge two translations: just delete the comments on
one file and use the gettext msgmrg command to merge the two files (old
and new or head and local) together.

Best regards

--

Marco Ciampa