kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Joining the doc team

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 02:42:36PM +0100, f.dos.santos@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi KiCad doc team,

Hi Francisco, welcome onboard! :-)

> It's my first message and the first message this year on this list so I
> wish you a happy new year !

You and all the list too!

> Fresh year fresh start, I've decided to join here (and on gitlab)
> because great software needs great documentation ;-)

good

> I'll do my best to help and I've setup my goals for this year as :
>
> 1) Bring the french translation up to date.
> Jean-Pierre is already taken care of the UI translation but it's seems the french documentation needs someone who can dedicate enough time in the long run.
>
> 2) Create a translation for all docs to portuguese.
> This will really be a challenge as it's a more difficult exercice for me to write in portuguese.

If I may suggest, please tranlate only your mother tongue, and let
another mother tongue deal with his own native language docs.
Quality is paramount.

> Along the way I'll read and verify the documentation (I hate misleading or docs which contains errors).

That's the reason I prefer you concentrate only on what you can do best.

> I understand that .adoc files are sensitive as the changes affects all translations.

Yes but adoc files are English only ... you just have to deal with the
translation files, that means the .po files

> So is a workflow in place to decide how to make such changes?

There is a guide here:

https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc

but for the translation in your own language, basically, you are the
translator(s), you decide.

> Should we discuss it through gitlab issues or on this list ?

Issue are issue, discussions are discussions.

Those are different things and you have to decide where is better to
discuss them in a case-by-case basis.

> I will need some time to get used to the tools (asciidoc, cmake) as I'm
> more a sphinx and latex kind of guy.

For sphinx or asciidoc in the end is the same for translations: you have
to translate some .po files and that's all.

You compile the manuals just to see an preview of the results and for debug.

> In the meantime I'll look through the gitlab issues and try to make some easy fix.

Good.

> Best wishes for 2020.

For you too.

> Francisco
>
> PS: got caught by a trap for young players, the official repo is https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc
> but I've been lured by the gitlab search engine into forking the fork https://gitlab.com/kicad-services/kicad-doc
> it's really a bad idea to have 2 repos with names so close (1 character apart) !

See the BIG Signal on top of it?

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-doc

"This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only."

--

Saluton,
Marco Ciampa