From: "Jon Evans" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "f dos santos" <f.dos.santos@xxxxxxx>
Cc: kicad-doc-devs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 10/01/2020 00:53:46
Subject: Re: [Kicad-doc-devs] Connections buses in eeschema documentation are "indated"

Some previous discussion: https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-doc/issues/719

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 6:45 PM < f.dos.santos@xxxxxxx > wrote:

Hi,

People can say that some documentation are outdated but for buses connections it's the other way around.
I'm pretty sure "indated" it's not a word ;-)

The eeschema docs section 6.5.3 Connections (Buses) for KiCad v5.1.5 contains instructions for features specific to v6.0 :

- https://docs.kicad-pcb.org/5.1.5/en/eeschema/eeschema.html#wires-buses-labels-power-ports

This has been reported as issue 772 and 773 :

- https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc/issues/773
- https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc/issues/772

Clearly, those commits should'nt have been included on 5.1 releases :
- 5fd00e738 Initial documentation for bus upgrades
- 29ed809ec Note new behavior of conflicting labels
- d27c40092 Add documentation for Migrate Buses dialog

I could be wrong (I'm new here) but I think the current git workflow for the doc team is :
1) master is the current documentation, every improvements and pull request goes on master (to make life easier for translators, there's only master that matters)
2) when KiCad reach features freeze, the new features are documented again against master and translators do their work until official release
3) official release, master gets tagged with the same version number like all Kicad repos
4) if we need to work on previous documentation, we could branch out of a specific release. Master is still the current documentation and we're back to step 1).

So my question is how could we solve those gitlab issues ?
Do we leave documentation with mistakes until next KiCad release ?

When are docs.kicad-pcb.org website updated ? I assume the website can be updated between official KiCad releases (if we haven't one we could adopt a strategy to schedule documentation update to the website, for example every 2 months).

If we stick to the workflow above, we have to rollback those 3 commits and put them back in only when v6.0 reach features freeze.

I'm open to better ideas.

Francisco