kicad-doc-devs team mailing list archive

Asciidoctor status / thoughts about formats

Hi all,

I'm going to try to get the work Johannes started[1] complete so we can
move to asciidoctor.

Right now the main blocker is CJK font support. You can see more details on
the MR; I'm going to reach out to asciidoctor community to see if anyone
has a working solution for this other than the unmaintained KaiGen Gothic
package (this font doesn't even seem to be very available anymore).

One question: do we really need to maintain PDF and ePUB support?  I would
honestly rather spend time writing documentation than working on the bugs
associated with the multiple format build system, but I will keep working
on it if there is a good reason to.

It would not be that unusual for us to distribute the manuals in HTML form
for offline viewing, and focusing only on HTML would let us get the HTML
style looking good and not worry about any inconsistencies between other
formats.

Thoughts?  I don't know the history of PDF and ePUB being offered as doc
formats so I don't know if there is a good reason to offer them instead of
HTML.

-Jon

[1] https://gitlab.com/kicad/services/kicad-doc/-/merge_requests/776

Follow ups