Re: Names of KiCad footprint libraries

Hello Povilas.

> Currently the libraries in the Carl's repository on GitHub[1] have
> names like this:
>
> VML0806_Housing_Rohm_RevA_26Oct2012

This is a library made by me. I use this naming system to keep a stright
line in my own development repository.

> Are version and date suffixes used in any way for versioning? I don't
> see any duplicated libraries, thus I guess no, but it's worth to make sure.

Of course, i deleted the old versions, if i upload new ones to
launchpad.

> In any case, different, incompatible versions of the same library could
> be tracked in different Git branches. We could remove the suffixes then
> as they would serve no useful purpose yet add clutter to the library names.

Ok. For future, i will rename the librarys here at launchpad. But the
Problem for me is now, to recognize my own old librarys, because they
are partly renamed now.
Also the names at the pdf previews will not fit anymore to the
coreponding files.

> In addition to the above, I propose to add a distinct prefix, such as
> 'foot_' or 'lib_' to all footprint libraries. We may want to host some
> footprint-unrelated repositories under the Kicad github
> user/organization and this would make organizing things much easier.

Nice idea.

With best regards: Bernd Wiebus alias dl1eic