Re: Remarks to KiCad Library Convention

W dniu 16.05.2014 19:54, Lorenzo Marcantonio pisze:
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 06:08:27PM +0200, Kerusey Karyu wrote:
it's just easier to duplicate the package and
rename the pins :D

It's easiest to create proper symbols. :P

I guess is a workflow preference thing:P I prefer to duplicate modules
to get good pin names, you prefer to duplicate schematic symbols to keep
the same pin numbers.

Aliases wouldn't help since the pinning on the symbol is different,
anyway.

Yes. This doesn't help for multiple pinning problem.

But the idea was to create different aliases to a symbol that can have many different names and slightly different parameters, but exactly the same functionality and pinning, so that the symbol libraries do not grew in the megabytes.

At the end is personal preference IMHO. I don't know if it's
easier/faster to duplicate and change a symbol or duplicate and change
a module, but it would be more or less the same...

Sorry, but creating multiple footprints is creating a mess. Creating multiple symbols is an element that attracts (future) users. Many of them evaluates the quality of the EDA software by the number of elements in the libraries, especially symbols. KiCad libraries is a one of weak points of the whole suite. IMHO if We beat EAGLE in that point this will be a strong turning point for the whole package (at least in my country).

Another holy war averted :D

Not a war. Discussion.
This differs this list from a developer's list. YKWIM ;-)

Kerusey Karyu